Monday Motivation

Monday, September 8, 2014

(12) Tumblr

Happy Monday!!
I said in my post yesterday that I was getting organized and resting and somehow that turned into not finishing any homework and staying up until 1am on Tumblr... whoops
Anyways, I have always been a huge fan of inspirational quotes and consider my "Inspiration" board on Pinterest one of my greatest achievements *insert crying laughing emoji here* Back in June, I started sending Monday "motivations" to my 3 best friends in our group message. I've somehow kept it up and wanted to bring it to the blog! I thought that today I would get personal and reflect a little on the above quote as I start out my Monday sitting in class only slightly sleep deprived...

When I found this photo on Tumblr, it really inspired me. Too often, I find myself saying yes to things and doing things because I feel pressured or it seems like it would look good on a college application. Junior year is already really hard and not just because of the excessive homework load. Being a teenager is hard enough, but when you top that with guidance counselors, teachers, and parents throwing so much at you about AP classes, ACT testing, and college planning all at once, it can be really overwhelming. It's hard to live in the moment or do what you love when you constantly feel like you are trying to play catch up from yesterday's to-do list or have the "perfect" resume. It is so easy for me to get caught up in all the work, cheer practices, and expectations that I forget to focus on what's actually important to building up the kind of person I want to be. Of course, doing my homework and not failing high school is kind of crucial, but in 10 years, I don't want to remember high school as a time where I cried every single night drowning in papers and signed up for activities I really didn't want to do just because I thought it was the "right thing" to do. So starting today, I'm challenging myself to live in the moment and take more time to do what makes me happy. I'm going to make an effort to close my textbooks and put away papers that I've been staring at for hours that are stressing me out x100. I'm going to start taking a deep breath and say no when I really don't want to do something. I'm going to sign up for clubs and go to events that I really want to go to because they make me feel good. For my own sanity, I need to stop holding everything in and start letting things go and doing what makes me happy. Being a people pleaser and a pushover can really get to me at times and there are a few things that I have to continue to remind myself to stay afloat:

1. Worrying constantly about the future isn't doing anything positive for me.

2. Signing up for classes and activities that will "look good on an application" is only going to make me more unhappy.

3. Make the most of what I have at the moment while I'm working hard for what I ultimately want.

4. Don't get caught up/Keep things in perspective.

This post was insanely rambly as it is a combination of my thoughts in just about every class period today. However, writing this post and giving "advice" to others is really to help me keep everything in perspective. Translating my feelings and thoughts that are floating around in my head into a blog post reminds me to do the above 4 things and that no matter how hard things get, I'm really not drowning :)
I hope everyone has a great week and I hope this post helped as least one person as much as it has helped me get through this Monday!

xox

No comments :

Post a Comment