How to Avoid Meltdowns

Wednesday, October 28, 2015


Today I'm going to be talking about how I avoid having a major meltdown. If I get stressed out to the max and things just don't seem to be going my way, I will legitimately have a mental breakdown, tears and all. Sometimes between work, school, and life in general, stress builds up and builds up until, eventually, I just hit a breaking point. This is a part of life and sometimes unavoidable, but I thought it would be helpful if I shared my tips for how I de-stress and avoid having a full blown "meltdown".

Plan Hour by Hour // I wrote about this in my "how I organize" post, but this is a life saver for me. When I feel overwhelmed with assignments and activities going on after school, I schedule out my day and evening and fill in what assignments I'm going to be sure to accomplish during my free time. Seeing all of my tasks planned out helps relieve a lot of my stress and anxiety.

Exercise // When I feel pushed over the edge, I get to a point where I have to just take a minute to stop and breathe. I always feel a weight lifted off of me when I get outside for a run or head to the gym. Exercising clears my head and distracts me from what I'm worrying about.

Give Yourself A Treat // When I'm busy and have a lot going on, I give myself "prizes" for accomplishing things. If I'm working hard on a paper or studying for a long time, I break it up by saying giving myself little treats for every couple of paragraphs or sections... Usually some kind of candy :) My favorite "big treats" are Friday morning Starbucks or Chipotle after a long day at school.

Go to Bed Early // Sometimes after a really long day, I really cannot focus or concentrate on doing my work. I work best in the morning, so if I'm exhausted around 9PM, I get pretty much nothing accomplished and the best thing I can do for myself is just go to sleep. If I don't get 8 hours of sleep, I'm a zombie, so I can't justify staying up til 1AM trying to do my homework. I try to always be in bed before 10:30. This helps me to wake up refreshed in the morning ready to cross assignments off of my list.

Take a Personal Day // This is kind of a last resort and my friends will probably all make fun of me for this, but if I have a really long to do list and I feel really overwhelmed, I take a personal day. I think it's okay to do this every once in while and I always get a lot accomplished when I'm at home working. I'm not trying to promote truancy or anything, but every once in a while, this makes me feel really recharged and a little less stressed.

xoxo

No comments :

Post a Comment